The core activity of CPSoS will be three Working Groups, with interactions between them:
- Working Group 1: Systems of Systems in Transportation and Logistics
(Chair: Professor Haydn Thompson, Haydn Consulting, GB)
- Working Group 2: Physically Connected Systems of Systems
(i.e. Systems of Systems in Electrical Power Grids, Industrial Systems, Distribution Networks, Smart Buildings – Chair: Professor Sebastian Engell, TU Dortmund, DE)
- Working Group 3: Tools for Systems of Systems Engineering and Management
(Chair: Professor Wan Fokkink, TU Eindhoven NL)
Information about the CPSoS Working Group Members can be found here.
OBJECTIVES OF THE WORKING GROUPS
The main objective of the Working Groups will be to prepare a proposal for the “European Research and Innovation Agenda on Cyber-physical Systems of Systems”.
The first two working groups will analyse the situation in the application domains in a bottom-up fashion and collect needs for research and development in tools and methods for systems of systems. The third working group will assemble a broad picture of the available tools and methods and of the existing gaps from a methodological point of view. In synthesizing both views, we expect to develop a broadly supported research agenda for the next decade.
The Working Groups will:
- identify and analyse common features and differences between applications, industrial and societal needs and the tools and approaches currently adopted
- help assess and interrelate relevant activities as related to systems of systems, synthesise the needs of the application domains in a bottom-up fashion, and identify gaps and opportunities;
- discuss and provide a map of challenges, open problems, proposed theories and solutions and needs for future research;
- facilitate the process of consultations to identify the research topics of common interest, involving where necessary the relevant stakeholders from SoS community (academia, industrial and users);
- contribute to the development of a policy proposal (position paper) for the European research and innovation agenda in systems of systems, supported by technical papers;
- contribute to the promotion of the project activities and results.
COMPOSITION OF THE WORKING GROUPS
The core of the Working Groups is composed of:
- One Working Group Chair
- Members from industry and academia, representing computer science and systems & control communities
- Members representatives from the following running SoS STREP/IP FP7 projects:
AMADEOS Architecture for Multi-criticality Agile Dependable Evolutionary Open System-of-Systems
COMPASS Comprehensive Modelling for Advanced Systems of Systems
CyPhERS Cyber-Physical European Roadmap and Strategy
DYMASOS Dynamic Management of Physically Coupled Systems of Systems
Local4Global System-of-Systems that act LOCALly For optimizing GLOBALly